• To The Moon Review

If you had one last wish...

Attachment 302

In the past year there haven't been too many games that have really told a compelling story. There have only been a few games that I have played in my life time that have been able to get the player to truly feel for the characters of the game. The game 'To the Moon' by Freebird Games does exactly that, you end up caring for the characters. This game is one you can't put down!

'To the Moon' is an indie adventure game that sets a simple goal, to tell a story. What most people do not expect from an indie company is a story that rivals that of Hollywood. In the game you play as scientists who work for a company that has the ability to plant a desire in the memories of the patient to have them live out that desire. The catch is that it is all a dream and the last thing you can do. Their specialized machine then helps turn that desire into brand new memories that the patient will remember as if they happened. It is the last thing they remember.

In 'To the Moon', the scientists have a new patient named Johnny, who is on his death bed. The doctor is keeping him stable as he slipped into a coma. Johnny hired the scientists to fulfill one last wish, to go to the moon. To implant this desire and change the memories of Johnny you must search through his memories and find a point in the memories to plant that desire. The adventure that follows is touching, sad, and also at times humorous. I will not go further into the details of the story as the game is truly one of those games that one must experience for themselves. The game doesn't accomplish it's goal through amazing graphics or superb voice acting, quite the opposite really. You will spend a lot of time reading and enjoying retro graphics from the era of 16-bit graphics. The music ties in nicely and adds a whole different dimension to the game play.

Game play: 8/10
    'To the Moon' features classic point and click adventure game play. Nothing brand new is added to redefine the genre but the game doesn't aim to do that. Some mini-games are thrown in to break the monotony of game play and are quite well implemented into the story. The scientists in the game must find mementos and sync with them to move further back in the patient's memory to find a point in time to implant the desire the patient wants to accomplish his last wish. This is the core of the game play and every memento is important to the patient. I had a lot of fun playing through the game and I feel that Freebird Games did an excellent job on the game play for this game.

Story: 10/10
    The story in this game is just amazing! The twists and turns are emotional and come at times you will least suspect them. The whole game is a roller coaster of emotion, with high points and low ones. The story is so expertly crafted and implemented that many have admitted to a little misting of the eyes during game play. You end up feeling so connected to the characters and need to know what will happen next. The fact that you jump back through the life of the patient also brings out a sense of wondering what happened before that one memory to have made this current one. An expertly written story will keep you yearning for more.

Attachment 303

Graphics: 9/10
    The graphics of 'To the Moon' aren't current generation graphics, but a well implemented 16-bit style that brings back nostalgia of older games from the Super Nintendo days of gaming. Just because the graphics are older does not mean that this game isn't without superb visuals and well animated cut-scenes. All different styles are used to help portray the story without breaking that nostalgic feel of an older game. Overall I loved the attention to detail in a lot of the visuals and this game proves that graphics mean nothing when making a great game.

Music: 10/10
    The music in this game is so well done I can't begin to explain it. It all ties in beautifully with the moments that are happening on screen that it just adds even more depth to the game. The piano scores are touching and almost want to make you cry. If this game didn't have the music that it has it just wouldn't be the same. It connects the player to the characters and story even more. When you listen to the songs themselves you can hear the beauty and simplistic emotions of the music. I myself can't stop listening to them. Below is a little sample of the amazing music in this game:
    http://youtu.be/9QfPDmzpC2Q

Overall: 9/10
    'To the Moon' is simply a masterpiece of indie gaming. It shows us all that indie developers care about their games. They take time and put a lot of effort in telling a story that will become a part of you. When a game accomplishes that, I think it is an amazing one. Too many games these days lack what 'To the Moon' has and that is heart. I will admit, even as a guy, that this story made me cry. No Hollywood movie has been able to do that. I just felt connected to all the characters and the story was so well written that I felt like I was a part of everything that was happening. If you haven't played this game then I highly recommend it. You will experience a game that is what gaming is about, telling a story, and doing it so well that you will always remember that story.

Attachment 304
  • Categories

• Recent Articles