View RSS Feed

ashlan·nathens

Games are for kids...

Rate this Entry

On the surface of it, that comment may seem rather disparaging I suppose. But anyone with kids knows: games are for kids.

My daughter Jasmine turns 6 on the 24th of this month, and already she is showing me that, despite my extreme pride and elation at basically tearing the code of Portal (original) to pieces when I first played the game, she can grasp the concepts faster. And it's only my years of using a mouse and keyboard in co-ordination that gives me the upper hand to solve the puzzles faster. She is seeing the solutions better than I did.

Not only that, the way she can solve complex problems in games like Crayon Physics Deluxe* is phenomenal. She quite happily tears through the moaning hoards in Dead Nation on PS3. Oh, and while we're on PS3 games, have you tried your hand at WipeOut HD? I grabbed that game for free after the little PSN 'hiccup'. I played the original back in the day; it was always a superb title; fast, furious, and the best music in any game I've ever played. I've tried to master this new offering, but I just can't control a vehicle doing nearly 500km/h like I used to. Jasmine, however... no problems.

Jasmine loves walking around Guild Wars with me, and I'm sure when she's old enough to handle the content in the Battlefield series, she'll just as happily snipe my brains all over the closest graphical rendering. At this stage, the only way I'm pwning my 6 year old in the gaming world is by saying, "hey, how about a game of chess, kid?"

I'll take my victories where I can get 'em

p.s. anyone who has an issue with a 6 year old playing Dead Nation needs to spend sixty seconds talking to my daughter

*Wiki link; sadly the official site isn't responding. If it's still available through Steam, it's a must have for anyone with kids. And it's super cheap!
Tags: gaming Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Gaming

Comments

I'm finding myself wishing there was a *like* button just so I could acknowledge the post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sia
    I'm finding myself wishing there was a *like* button just so I could acknowledge the post
    Maybe Squirrel can 'Hey Presto' one for you? I like the idea, too!
    Oh yeah... a like button would be awesome!
    How did I do?
    Great work, codermonkey

I know where you are coming from Ashlann. My niece can already move a character around on the xbox and realizes that she is doing something by moving the joysticks.. and she is only 2 yrs old. Soon enough uncle kevin will be on the sidelines in gaming and she will be leading the pack.