View RSS Feed

NaomiL

Basically I Love Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Rate this Entry

My favorite video game of all time, hands down, the game I compare all other games too (well, at least all other RPGs to) has to be Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn. There are only a limited number of games I’ve played through all the way through more than once. Baldur’s Gate II, I’ve done it more times then I can’t count, both co-op and single player.

Part of it, to be fair, is probably nostalgia. I played it when I was about ten for the first time and loved it. I role played it up a storm, and had an uncanny ability to turn it into a highly evolved version of house…it was easy to get berries and a jug of ale so you had food, all you had to do was kill an innocent home owner and move in.

But honestly, it’s not just the nostalgia that keeps me coming back. There is no other RPG I have ever played in which I found it easier to spend quite as many hours doing everything but the main quest since side quests seem to be continually popping up. Nor have I found characters anywhere else as interesting or as likeable, or in the case of a few (*cough* Anomen *cough*) as much fun to love to hate.

And then there’s the strong holds. Different classes get different strong holds, monks and fighters get a castle, there’s a Magical Keep for mages, a thieves guild, a druid circle and even a theater if you happen to play a bard. I always loved that last one.

I really do compare all RPG to it and have never found one that, in my opinion, beat it. Dragon Age: Origins? Fantastic game but no Baldur’s Gate…as close as any game has ever gotten in my opinion but lacking. Mass Effect? Nope, not even close.

In fact, I’ve replayed this game so many times; I’ve got most of the cut scene memorized…which is probably a bit odd…but awfully fun. ‘Ah. The Child of Bhaal has awoken. It is time for more…experiments….’

I’m incredibly excited about the new editions they’re releasing of the series. A few months ago they rereleased the first Baldur’s Gate game (both for PC and for the iPad which is pretty interesting) with new characters and content. I’m eager to see what they’ll add for the second game (assuming, hopefully they’ll do that one as well).

Hmm…in fact just writing about it is getting me in the mood to play it again
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I love the Bolder's gate games I 1st played it when I was like 6 When I got my 1st computer, But I enjoy playing Icewind Dale alot more. But both very challenging and enjoyable.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScytheRyder
    I love the Bolder's gate games I 1st played it when I was like 6 When I got my 1st computer, But I enjoy playing Icewind Dale alot more. But both very challenging and enjoyable.
    Hmm I've been meaning to try Icewind Dale. I got a copy not too long ago, I've played the very beginning but got distracted by something else (not too hard to distract me ;-)). I'm going to have to give it a shot now.